Search Coreco


What paperwork can I use for my mortgage application?

This guide was last updated 14 February 2024

Previously, we have discussed the importance of the correct paperwork and making sure you bring all of it with you to meet us. In fact, we even made an awesome video about it, featuring Bow the Boston Terrier! If you want to find out more about what paperwork you need to bring, you can take a look at our Mortgage Guide on preparing your paperwork. But understanding what type of paperwork is another issue.

We occasionally have clients come in to give us their paperwork, which they diligently scoured their homes and workplaces for, only to, unfortunately, have to tell them that a particular form of ID or proof of address is not eligible for the mortgage application.

While some forms of paperwork – namely, sight of passport, three months of bank statements, proof of deposit monies, three months of payslips, and proof of any existing loans/debts – are quite straightforward as long as you obtain them through official channels, personal identity and address verification can sometimes cause confusion. It’s a perfectly reasonable misunderstanding since many different organisations consider different documents proof of identification.

For this reason, we have compiled this list of acceptable forms of ID and proof of address:

Personal Identity

Proof of identity can be tricky if you don’t drive and – for whatever reason – don’t have access to your passport (although it will be needed at some point in your application). Luckily, there are a few other options for you to choose from. If you are using a driving license or passport, then make sure it meets the criteria!


  • Passports are simple and reliable and will be an ideal form of ID to bring with you. Just make sure it’s in date and that you have signed it. If you’re not sure where it is you are supposed to sign your passport, click this link for a guide.

Driver’s License

  • One of the most popular forms of ID because, if you have a license to drive, it’s usually in your wallet/purse. Like the passport, you need to make sure that it’s in date and been signed, or it won’t be valid.

Biometric Residence Permits

  • National Identity Cards were scrapped in 2011, so they can no longer be used as ID. However, for non-EU residents in the UK, the Biometric Residence Permit (previously known as ‘identity card for foreign nationals’) is still valid and can be used as a form of ID.

Firearms and Shotgun Certificate

  • If you have any kind of firearm in the UK, you must have a certificate to own it. You can apply for a certificate at this link, which will serve as proof of ID (we should mention that you need not bring the gun itself)

Identity Card Issued by the Northern Ireland Electoral Office

HMRC Registration Card CIS

  • If you work for a contractor in the construction industry and are self-employed, the owner of a limited company, or a partner in a partnership or trust, then you will need to have applied for the Construction Industry Scheme (CIS). If you have a CIS4 card, you can use this as proof of identity.

Proof of Address

Proof of address is where it gets a little trickier. We get countless pieces of mail and, at first glance, there doesn’t seem to be any reason one piece of mail is any more ‘official’ than the next. You’d think that any piece of mail you have received that has your name and address on would be enough but sadly, for security reasons, the documents need to come from a list of specific sources.

Full Valid Driving License

  • It can be new or “old-style” and must be signed. Obviously, it must still be valid and have your current address on there.

Housing Benefit Letter / Document

  • It will need to be a recent document, within the last three months. To find out about your housing benefits or to request a letter, contact your local council. You can find them at this link.

Council Tax Benefit Letter / Document

Tax Credit Letter / Document

Pension Book / Notification Letter

  • You should get a letter and booklet from the Pension Service about four months before you reach the State Pension age. If you don’t, you can call them on 0800 731 7898. Find out more with this link.

Grant Notification

  • This could be a notification letter of a student loan or other government or local authority grant.

Grant of Probate / Power of Attorney

  • An instrument of a court appointment will suffice as proof of address.

Council Tax Letter

  • It doesn’t matter if it’s a statement or a demand letter – if it’s dated within 12 months, it is acceptable.

TV License

House or Motor Insurance Certificate

  • Must be your current plan and dated within the last 12 months.

Rent Book or Tenancy Agreement

  • Tenancy agreements must be signed by yourself and the landlord

Personal finance document

  • This refers to any bank statements, credit or debit card statements, or store card statements. If you need a statement from your bank, call them and ask them to deliver one. Statements printed out at the bank or from an ATM may not be accepted. These days they can be printed from an online account, but they must clearly show your name and address and have the https website address shown

Utility Bill

  • Utility bills must be dated within the last three months to be valid.


That’s our list of acceptable ID and proof of address. When preparing your documents, be sure to run them by this list to make sure they are applicable.

If you have any questions about your documents or are just looking for guidance on your mortgage journey, speak to one of our experienced advisers now and call 0207 220 5110 or arrange a call using the form below.

    Your home may be repossessed if you do not keep up repayments on your mortgage.

    There may be a fee for mortgage advice. The actual amount you pay will depend on your circumstances. The fee is up to 1% but a typical fee is 0.3% of the amount borrowed.

    Andrew Montlake

    Written by Andrew Montlake

    Andrew Montlake, better known as Monty, began his journey with an Hons degree in Economics & Politics before starting in the mortgage industry in February 1994. As a main founder of Coreco in 2009, he successfully grew the brand, marketing, and communications, and was made MD in 2019 focussing on the overall vision, strategy, and culture of the company. As Coreco’s media spokesperson, Andrew can often be seen or heard on TV and radio as well as regularly commenting in the national, local, and trade press. He is the author of this acclaimed Mortgage Blog and is well-known for his social media, podcasts, and public speaking. Andrew is now proud to serve as Chairman of the Association of Mortgage Intermediaries, (AMI) as a cheerleader for the Mortgage Industry as a whole and continues to work at the coal face, writing mortgage business and advising clients.

    Read more posts by Andrew